top of page

Forfar West End

5-2 (Win)


26 February 2022 at 14:30:00

The Canniepairt

McBookie Midlands Football League

Tayport FC 5 - 2 Forfar West End (Match Report 26/02/22)

Tayport FC 5 - 2 Forfar West End


2:30pm Kick Off

The Canniepairt

Midlands Football League

Match Report by Charlotte Wilde

Photographs by Ryan Masheder

This Saturday saw Tayport FC back to their winning ways with great 5-2 win at home to Forfar West End. This was the same result as when the teams met earlier in the season at Forfar’s home ground. Keith FC loanee Luke Emmett started for the home side and 16 year old Aidan Cobb made his debut coming on as a substitute for the last 10 minutes.

Paul Sludden kicked off for Tayport, which saw their first chance only a couple of minutes into the match. Ryan Paterson crossed the ball into the box and there was a huge scramble. Forfar keeper Ross Matthews and his defence manged to keep the ball out of the net, but Tayport still had many chances to score. The ball eventually went out when Daniel Dorovic took a shot and it went over the crossbar.

Tayport were definitely seeing more of the possession and goal scoring opportunities. When Jamie Gill was taken down just outside of the box, Tayport had a free kick. It was taken by Paterson who shot the ball over the wall but just missed the net. A Paterson corner 10 minutes in was a great chance to give the home side the lead. He crossed the ball to Gill who was just outside of the box. Gill took a shot but it was well defended by Dylan Stephen who cleared it from the box.

Tayport’s chances eventually paid off when they got the first goal of the game 13 minutes in. A Bradie Heggie throw in found Sludden who passed the ball onto Paterson. Paterson had a shot which was hit out by Forfar keeper Matthews, but the ball fell to Gill whose strike went into the back of the net.

However, Tayport’s lead didn’t last long. Only 4 minutes later, keeper Darren Brown brought down Aiden Benvie inside Tayport’s box which led to a Forfar penalty. Abdourahman Njie took the penalty and sent Brown the wrong way. After their goal, the away side stepped up the pressure on Tayport. Murray Penman and Benvie both had chances on goal but both were headed out by defender Greg McColm.

A Paterson foul on Stephen gave Forfar another chance through a free kick. It was taken by Penman but Louis Joyce cleared the ball away out of Tayport’s half. However, it was Tayport who got the next goal in the 31st minute. A Paterson corner into the box fell straight to Dorovic whose powerful header flew past the keeper and into the net. Soon after, Gill had a chance to extend Tayport’s lead but his shot was tipped over the bar by Matthews.

Just before half time, 44 minutes in, Forfar equalised. A great cross into the box by Ruairidh Smith found Benvie who slotted the ball past Brown. The teams went into half time with the score level at 2-2.

Back out for the second half and it was a slow start for both sides. Paterson had a chance from a Heggie throw in, but his shot went over the crossbar. Gill also tried to give Tayport back the lead but his shot was cleared from the box by Samuel Sanchez. However, in the 61st minute Tayport got their third goal of the match. Another Heggie throw in found Sludden who ran into the box and slotted the ball into the back of the net. 4 minutes later in the 65th minute, Tayport got their fourth goal. Another Paterson corner caused a scramble in the box, but the ball eventually fell to McColm who tapped the ball into the bottom right corner.

A tackle on Ryan Cormack by Luke Emmett led to a number of players from both sides squaring up to one another and resulted in multiple yellow cards, including a second yellow for Benvie. Forfar were now down to 10 men with 15 minutes left to play. However, the away side still continued to fight with a couple of good chances from substitute Robbie McLauchlan, but unfortunately they never found the back of Tayport’s net.

Tayport got their 5th and final goal of the match in the 93rd minute. A pass from Emmett found Paterson who ran across the goal line and chipped the ball over Forfar’s keeper. The match ended 5-2 to Tayport and Ryan Paterson was named Man of the Match.

Tayport manager Eddie Wolecki Black said that he was pleased with “the range of goal scorers” and the fact that the team were “not dependent on one player”, given that all 5 goals came from 5 different players. He also said he was happy with the performances of new players Luke Emmett and Aidan Cobb.

Tayport Team:

1. Darren Brown

2. Bradie Heggie

3. Craig Sturrock (K. Sturrock)

4. Greg McColm

5. Jamie Hume (C)

6. Louis Joyce

7. Luke Emmett

8. Ryan Paterson

9. Paul Sludden (Cobb)

10. Daniel Dorovic


Jamie Gill


12. Ross Cameron

13. Jamie McCabe

14. Kieran Sturrock

15. Aidan Cobb

16. Jamie Mackie

20. Gary Thain

Forfar West End Team:

1. Ross Matthews

2. Murray Penman

3. Samuel Sanchez

4. Barrie Gourlay

5. Fraser Matthews

6. Dylan Stephen

7. Ruairidh Smith

8. Ethan Samson

9. Abdourahman Njie

10. Aiden Benvie

11. Ryan Cormack


12.Keir Balfour

14. Kerr Crighton

15. Kyle Hamilton

16. Robbie McLauchlan

22. Mark Reid

Forfar West End
bottom of page