top of page
  • tayportfc

Forres Thistle 0 - 6 Tayport FC - 21/8/21 - Match Report


Forres Thistle 0 -6 Tayport FC

Logie Park, Forres

2.30pm Kick Off

Scottish Junior Cup, Round one.

Match report by Ellidh Aitken. Photos by Luke Mochan.

Tayport travelled to Forres on Saturday afternoon in the first round of the Scottish Junior Cup. Tayport went into the match energised after a well-earned win on Wednesday night. The team took control of the game from the get-go with Ryan Paterson creating early chances from two consecutive corners. Despite these being unsuccessful, It didn’t take Tayport long to find their feet and after just four minutes Lyall Shaw scored after a pass from Reece Ritchie. Forres rallied and James McLaren looked to score but was thwarted by a good save from Gary Thain. Craig Sturrock defended Tayport’s goal well, allowing few chances for Forres to get close to scoring. The Port continued to create opportunities and in the 18th minute the second goal came through Jamie Gill. A few more chances came from Jamie Gill and Ryan Paterson. Dayle Robertson came extremely close to scoring as the first half drew to a close, but his shot was saved on the line by Forres goalkeeper, Daniel McLeod. Tayport went into the break leading two nil.

The second half started fiercely with Forres Thistle desperate to get back into the match and Tayport looking to extend their lead. In the 53rd minute Tayport made it three, courtesy of Dayle Robertson who fired the ball past the home goalkeeper after a pass from Paterson. The home side again looked to make a mark on the match with Neil Moir taking a shot at goal, but the ball went over the bar. In the 58th minute Jamie Gill flew down the right wing and squared the ball to Robertson who slotted the ball into the back of the net. In the 69th minute a free kick from Ryan Paterson led to Tayport’s fifth, this time from Louis Joyce. Forres Thistle were unable to get on the score sheet despite a few attempts in the closing stages of the match. Tayport’s final goal came in the 89th minute from new signing Ross Cameron who came on as a substitute for Jamie Gill. The match ended Tayport 6-0 Forres Thistle. After the game Lyall Shaw was named the Tayport Distillery Man of the Match. A successful day made the long journey worthwhile for Tayport, who will face Gartcairn FC away in the second round of the Scottish Junior Cup. Tayport reached the 5th round of the Scottish Junior Cup in the 2019/20 season their best run since 2010.

Tayport team

1: Gary Thain

2: Louis Joyce

3: Craig Sturrock

4: Brad Ness

5: Jamie Hume

6: Kris Rollo (Replaced by Bradie Heggie)

7: Jamie Gill (Replaced by Ross Cameron)

8: Reece Ritchie (Yellow card)

9: Dayle Robertson

10: Ryan Paterson (Replaced by Sam Sanchez)

11: Lyall Shaw

Unused substitutes

12: Logan Irvine

15: Jamie McCabe

20: Darren Brown

Forres Thistle team

18: Scott Campbell

11: Matthew Davidson

16: Grant Duguid

7: Matthew Fraser

9: Brandon George Hutcheson

2: Alexander Innes

19: Aaron McLellan

1: Daniel McLeod

10: Neil Moir

8: Ross Paterson

3: Craig Robertson


12: Charlie Beck

6: Danny Black

17: Lee Davidson

14: Ross Kellman

21: Matthew Milne

15: Anthony Ross


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page