top of page
  • tayportfc

Tayport FC 2 - 2 Dundee Violet JFC (Match Report 01/10/22)

Tayport FC 2 - 2 Dundee Violet JFC


2.30pm Kick Off

The Canniepairt

Midlands League

Match Report by Charlotte Wilde

Photographs by Ryan Masheder Photography

After a great win in the 2nd round of the Scottish Junior Cup last week, Tayport were back in league action on Saturday, welcoming Dundee Violet JFC to The Canniepairt. With Port Captain Jamie Hume, amongst other players, being unavailable due to illness, keeper Darren Brown stepped in as Captain for the match.

It was Violet who got off to the better start with an early goal only 2 minutes in. Cameron Ross made a great run down the wing and then crossed the ball into the box. However, instead of finding a Violet player, the ball flew over Brown and into the net. Then, only 12 minutes later, in the 14th minute, Violet doubled their lead. Greg Houston’s powerful shot flew past Brown and made it 0-2 to the away side.

Tayport did, however, continue to push for their own goal. Shots from Kyle McMulkin and Ryan Paterson were good chances but good saves were made on both occasions from Violet keeper, Jamie Adams.

30 minutes in and Houston had a great chance to extend Violet’s lead further, however, Brown made an important save to keep Tayport from conceding a third. At the other end of the pitch, the Violet goalkeeper was also being tested. Nik Edwards and Kieran Sturrock both had shots on goal but Adams made some superb saves. Just before half time, McMulkin took a shot but it flew just over the cross bar. The home side went into the half time break trailing 0-2 and with their heads down.

Out for the next 45 minutes and Tayport definitely got the better start of the two teams. In the 51st minute, Tayport managed to pull a goal back. Daryl McKenzie took a shot on goal but Adams batted the ball away. The ball, however, then fell to Sturrock who tapped it in, making the score 1-2.

Unfortunately for Tayport, only a few minutes later, Violet were awarded a penalty for a foul in the box by Brown. Substitute Aiden Benvie stepped up and took the shot towards the bottom left hand corner, but luckily for the Port, Brown redeemed himself and made a good clean save. Tayport’s best chance of the match came 70 minutes in. Sturrock took a powerful shot on goal but the ball was just too wide and smacked off the post.

In the 83rd minute, Tayport finally got their equaliser. Substitute and New Signing Innes Barbour volleyed the ball into the net from the edge of the box, giving him his debut goal for the Port. The home side had a great last minute chance to claim the win in injury time, but Sturrock’s header went too wide of the post. The full time whistle blew and the match ended 2-2.

About the match, manager Daryl McKenzie said he was, “bitterly disappointed to draw at home, but credit to Violet, I thought first half they were excellent”. He added that he felt the team gave themselves, “a mountain to climb” when they conceded their two goals early on. However, McKenzie went onto say, “I thought we totally dominated” whilst referring to the second half. He finished by saying that he “can’t fault the boys’ effort, but we really need to start games better”.

The Tayport Distillery Man of the Match was awarded to Ryan Paterson. Paterson was chosen by the hospitality guests.

Tayport Team:

1 Darren Brown

2 Callum Walls

3 Greg McColm

4 Jim Malone

5 Ross McDonald

6 Nik Edwards (Barbour)

7 Daryl McKenzie

8 Kyle McMulkin (Fraser)

9 Dominik Naglik (Addo)

10 Ryan Paterson

11 Kieran Sturrock


14 Adam Fraser

15 Innes Barbour

16 Caleb Addo

20 Charlie Kennedy

Dundee Violet JFC Team:

1 Jamie Adams

3 Ryan Scobie

5 James Lawrie

6 Logan Irvine

7 Cameron Ross

11 Christopher Tenant

13 Barry Wilson

16 Greg Houston

17 Jamie Timmons

18 Aidan Lorente

24 Robbie Irons


2 Lewis Hornshaw

8 Derek Johnston

9 Aiden Lockhart

12 Aiden Benvie

14 Jay Taylor

15 Thomas Cunningham

21 Lewis Miller


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page