top of page
  • tayportfc

Tayport FC 8 - 0 Forfar United (Match Report)

Updated: Oct 21, 2022

Tayport FC 8 - 0 Forfar United


2.30pm Kick Off

The Canniepairt

Midlands Football League

Apologies for no match photos from this game, our photographer was unavailable.

After three league matches without a win Tayport were determined to make sure that this run did not extend to four games as they faced Forfar United at home in the Midlands Football League on Saturday. Their determination was clear as they put on a fantastic first half display where they scored seven goals. It took the home side only six minutes to open the scoring. Captain Jamie Hume collected the ball on the half way line and found Adam Fraser who headed the ball onto Kieran Sturrock. Sturrock brought the ball down and passed the last defender before slotting the ball past Adam Cameron in the away goal. Two minutes later the Port’s second chance came and with it the second goal of the match. A hand ball just outside the box led to a Tayport free kick, Ryan Paterson stepped up and his shot was pushed onto the post by Cameron, but the ball landed straight at the feet of Ethan Samson who passed the ball into the back of the net. On 11 minutes it was three, a Tayport corner came back out to Paterson who swung the ball into the box, although initially cleared away by the United defence it only cleared as far as Innes Barbour who smashed the ball into the right hand corner of the net. Tayport continued to have the majority of the ball and their fourth goal came after Sturrock played a great ball to Samson. Samson drove for goal before finding Paterson who hammered the ball home. The Port’s fifth goal came on 25 minutes, a misplaced pass at the back was picked up by Paterson who threaded the ball to Sturrock who calmly knocked the ball past Cameron. 12 minutes later Sturrock completed his hat-trick, once again it was Paterson and Sturrock linking up together that led to the goal. Paterson played a lovely ball over the top which was brought down by Sturrock who rolled the ball past the keeper before knocking the ball into the back of the net. The seventh and final goal of the first half came on 41 minutes, Daryl McKenzie picked out Paterson who beat two defender before firing the ball past Cameron, finding the bottom right hand corner of the net. It was a fantastic first half performance from the Port who prior to this first half had been struggling in front of goal. Tayport went into the interval leading seven goals to nil.

The second half was a very different game, Tayport continued to dominate the game but the game was mainly played in the middle of the park with Forfar United limiting the Port’s chances in the second period. But it was the away side that had the first chance of the second half, the ball was played into the box and found Nicholas Fletcher who rose above the Tayport defence but his header was turned over the bar by Tayport keeper Thomas Welsh. Just a minute after Tayport had their first chance of the second half, McKenzie found Samson who ran through on goal but his shot was well saved by Cameron. On 56 minutes Paterson and Sturrock who both put in excellent performances were replaced by Kyle McMulkin and Dominik Naglik. Two more changes for the home side shortly followed with Caleb Addo replacing Craig Sturrock and a change of goalkeeper with Darren Brown coming on for Welsh. Substitute McMulkin tested Cameron with a shot from a free kick but Cameron pushed the ball away from goal. 10 minutes from time, Tayport got their last goal of the game, McKenzie threaded the ball through to Samson who slipped the ball past Cameron for his second goal of the game. Forfar’s best chance of the game came with two minutes left, Fletcher forced Darren Brown into a mistake and passed the ball to Zack Williams, who looked like he was going to pull a goal back for United but his shot was cleared off the line by Jim Malone. This was the last chance of the game with the score ending Tayport 8, Forfar United 0. Ethan Samson was chosen as the Tayport Distillery man of the match.

After the match Tayport manager Daryl McKenzie shared his thoughts on the match saying, “I was delighted with the performance of the players, particularly our attacking threat and our ruthlessness upfront in the first half. I was happy to get a clean sheet, especially after us having to go with a bit of a makeshift back four due to injuries and players being away on holiday. I was really pleased to see both Ethan Samson and Innes Barbour get goals as they have both had a good impact since they signed. Attention now turns to next Saturday and a big game away to Kirriemuir which is vital for us if we want to continue climbing the league, but we go there with confidence after Saturday’s good performance.”

Tayport Team:

1 Thomas Welsh (Brown)

2 Bradie Heggie

3 Craig Sturrock (Addo)

4 Jamie Hume

5 Jim Malone

6 Ethan Samson

7 Daryl McKenzie

8 Inness Barbour

9 Adam Fraser

10 Ryan Paterson (McMulkin)

11 Kieran Sturrock (Naglik)


14 Dominik Naglik

15 Kyle McMulkin

16 Caleb Addo

20 Darren Brown

Forfar United Team:

23 Adam Cameron

2 Jake Fletcher (Davidson)

3 Ben Ranstead

4 Cammy Howie

5 Gary Nisbet (Smith)

6 Jamie Crowe

7 Nicholas Fletcher

8 Zack Williams

9 Connor Birse

10 Kier Balfour (Kemp)

11 Calum Boath


1 Fraser Reid

12 Fraser Kemp

14 Robbie Davidson

15 Danny Smith

16 Jack Shaw


Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page